Applications Open 1st September & close 31 October annually
South Waikato Investment Fund Trust (SWIFT) are delighted to have launched a $50,000 scholarship scheme to help South Waikato residents of all ages with their tertiary education.
The scholarship programme is not only for school leavers. “SWIFT endorses ‘whole of life’ education and welcomes applicants who are in employment looking to upskill and or members of the community who are looking to reintegrate into the job market by upskilling or gain employment in another industry sector.”
The scholarships are open to returning applicants as constant upskilling and development is encouraged. “The scholarships won’t be a ‘one and done’. If an individual continues to study beyond their first tertiary qualification or for extended years beyond their programme, they can apply each year.
Preference / priority is given to Toi Ohomai, University of Waikato and WINTEC | Te Pūkenga due to their contribution to reduce barriers through public transport and other support services to local students.
There are two Scholarship options to choose from:
- OPTION ONE: Course related costs only ($1000)
- OPTION TWO: Course related costs+ Contribution to fees (up to $5000 in total)
Note – if you are eligible for ‘Fees Free’, you can only apply for the Course related costs scholarship. Check out whether you are eligible for ‘Fees Free’ here: Eligibility criteria (feesfree.govt.nz)
Come along to the drop-in session if you would like more information or help to complete your application.
Check out the drop-in dates here:
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- The applicant must be living in the South Waikato district (as defined by the territorial authority boundaries) at the time of application and;
- Is enrolled (or intending to enrol) and attending a University, Polytechnic or Whare Wānanga and;
- The course/qualification is a NZQA accredited course.
Additional Information to include to your application:
- A cover letter / video
- 2 Referees
- Your CV
Your cover letter or video should include the following information:
- Tell us about what you want to study and why….
- Outline how you became interested in your chosen course, and where this might lead you in the future.
- Also consider how your area of study might be needed in or support the South Waikato district.
- Tell us about the support you need to access this programme
Note – Your cover letter or video can also outline any financial/hardship information.
- The two referees to support your application are individuals who know you well (but not be a family member).
If you are a school leaver, please ensure one of your referees is a teaching staff member or the principal of secondary school.
If you are in employment, please ensure one of your referees is your supervisor, manager or employer.